Are you craving a delicious treat this Easter? We’ve teamed up with @superfood.delicious to bring you this one of a kind Hot Cross Muffin recipe.
Featuring our Planet Organic mixed spices, these Hot Cross Muffins is the perfect dessert this Easter.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup dry sweetner of choice
- 1 tsp Planet organic mixed spice (link)
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 1/2 cup milk of choice, slightly warmed
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange
- 1 tsp orange rind
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/2 cup dried sultanas
NOTE: We recommend using organic ingredients.
CROSS DOUGH TOPPING (This will make enough for a couple of batches)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 tsp sweetner
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp Apricot jam (can sugar free)
- 1/2 tsp or so oh hot water *this will depend on the thickness of your jam*
Here’s how you’ll make it:
- Pre heat oven to 170 fan forced
- Grease a 12 muffin tray
- In a medium sized bowl, sift your dry ingredients: flour, baking power & spices. Add sweetness (coconut sugar & sweetner of your choice) and blend well.
NOTE: You want to blend this well now to minimise over-mixing when you combine this with the liquids. Over-mixing = tough muffins
- In a large jug add: 2 eggs, whisked, vanilla paste, melted butter (cooled), milk of choice, freshly squeezed organge juice and orange rind. Blend well. Add the dried fruit (apricots & sultanas) and let them soak up the moisture whilst you prepare the dough for the crosses.
- In a small bowl add the sifted flour, sugar and blen. Add the oil and water. Mix to form a paste. This should now be a good consistency to pipe. Set aside.
- Make a well in the centre of the bowl with all of the dry ingredients. Add the liquids, blend as little as you need to blend it together without over-mixing. Spoon into muffin moulds.
- Pipe crosses on top
- Place the cross dough inside a snap-lock bag or piping bag. Once filled cut the end to the desired piping width and pipe crosses on top of your muffins.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until cooked.
- Remove from oven and glaze whilst hot.
- Add hot water to hot apricot jam to get a runny consistency.
- ENJOY! 😍